Monday, February 16, 2009

#4 (week 2) Genealogy

This week was quite interesting. I've always been vaguely interested in my family tree. My grandfather is adopted and took both his birth parents and adoptive parents names, which is where my surname comes from. It's nice being one of less than 10 in the whole world.

I think of the sites I looked at, I prefered My Heritage because I found it easier to use on the whole However Geni didn't try and help you every second of the way. I thought it was pretty easy to use as well.

I found it really interesting that my heritage asked for women's maiden names and Geni didn't. i think maiden names make more sense. However, My heritage assumed that if we have kids, they will have the surname Rivera (my partners last name) which is a bit much. (For the record, I will call them "Name Town-Treweek-Rivera").

I can't see myself recommending things like this to customers in my current job, but nonetheless, it's really good to know they are out there. A lot of geneologists come into this library, and it would be good for them to know they can keep track of all their research online with these tools.

1 comment:

ACL web 2.1 said...

Hi The Chair

Love the family tree well done!! Next up Week 3 Books and Authors lots of fun :-)